Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Buddy Holly~ [The Last Day] (3/4)

Uploaded on Sept. 19, 2010
A look at the final day of a Rock n' Roll legend.


Aftermath

 

Holly's wife, María Elena, watched the first reports of his death on television. Pregnant and a widow after barely six months of marriage, she miscarried the next day, reportedly due to psychological trauma. His mother, who heard the news on the radio in Lubbock, Texas, collapsed. Because of María Elena's miscarriage, the authorities, in the months following, implemented a policy against announcing victims’ names until after families were informed.[1]

María Elena Holly did not attend the funeral, and has never visited the gravesite. She later told the Avalanche-Journal: "In a way, I blame myself. I was not feeling well when he left. I was two weeks pregnant, and I wanted Buddy to stay with me, but he had scheduled that tour. It was the only time I wasn't with him. And I blame myself because I know that, if only I had gone along, Buddy never would have gotten into that airplane."[18]

Waylon Jennings and Tommy Allsup continued the tour for two more weeks, featuring Jennings as the lead singer.[19] Meanwhile, Holly's funeral was held on February 7, 1959, at the Tabernacle Baptist Church in Lubbock.[20]

The service was officiated by Ben D. Johnson, who had presided at the Hollys' wedding just months earlier. The pallbearers were Jerry Allison, Joe B. Mauldin, Niki Sullivan, Bob Montgomery, Sonny Curtis and Phil Everly.[21]

Holly's body was interred in the City of Lubbock Cemetery in the eastern part of the city. His headstone carries the correct spelling of his surname (Holley) and a carving of his Fender Stratocaster guitar.

The first song to commemorate the musicians was Three Stars by Eddie Cochran.[1] The accident was later the subject of the 1971 Don McLean song American Pie. The song dubbed it in popular culture as "The Day The Music Died,"[22] which for McLean, symbolized the "loss of innocence" of the early rock-and-roll generation.[1][23]

Source: Wikipedia





TTFN
CYA Later Taters
Thanks for watching.

Donnie/ Sinbad the Sailor Man

No comments:

Post a Comment